header image

The Wonders of Modding

Lord Redivus. It just rolls off the tongue doesn’t it? No? Maybe it’s just me then. Anyway, I just got the coolest thing about being a lord: the right to possess your own custom banner! Now that’s what I’m talking about! Unfortunately, the banners the game provides aren’t so cool. I want something that’s going to stand out more. That’s where modding comes in. Thanks to my moderate amount of experience in modding Oblivion, I know a thing or two about using GIMP, and I know how to deal with the .dds texture files that the game stores its textures in. Finding the banner files was easy enough. The problem is that I am not skilled enough to make my own textures that would look good enough in game. Time to access some online images! Since I’m such a Roman history buff, I naturally wanted a Roman themed banner. Let’s go with the classic SPQR and laurel wreath banner. A few minutes later, and I found the perfect banner: a red background banner with two gladii (roman shortswords), a laurel wreath, and SPQR in gold. And it’s approximately the right size. Just have to adjust the pixels a bit, and then place it over one of the existing banners. Yes! Now we have a nice Roman themed banner that is completely unique to me. Time to save, and see whether it worked. I open up the save file, wait for the message telling me to choose my banner to show up, and look through the selection. Sure enough, my custom banner is there and looking pretty sharp. And hey, now my heraldic mail and my shields are sporting my banner too! Now if only there was some Roman armor in the game… eh, not really feeling up to such a monumental task to be honest. It was difficult enough to make new custom meshes in Oblivion, and I’m not sure whether Blender even has compatibility with Mount & Blade. Well, now that my army looks twice as cool as it did before, it’s time to expand my domain and get some castles. Castles are really important, not only in that they offer a far better income than villages, but also that one can garrison troops in castles. This is really effective for a couple of reasons: one, that troops garrisoned in castles only have to be paid half wages. Second, and more importantly, it allows me to exceed the normal capacity for my army. Whereas, I am only capable of keeping 156 men in the army that accompanies me, I could garrison most of them in the castle and then recruit more in my army. Rinse and repeat, and you can get some pretty powerful armies. However, I have to be aware of how much I am paying for the troops. Even troops paid at half wage still rack up the money that is owed. However, before I can worry about that, there is one giant problem that I must deal with first: the fact that my country is not at war with anybody.

~ by corellius on .

Uncategorized